We take your data very seriously and so will continue to review our activities in this area and update the policy as necessary. We’ll notify you of any significant changes, or you can visit this page to see our policy at any time.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz
2. What does the law say?
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which an organisation may collect and process your personal data, including:
Consent: In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. For example, if you are not a Fitzgerald & Associates client but wish to receive email newsletters.
Contractual obligations: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, if you join us as a client, we need to gather information about your areas of operation in order to support your work in the sector. In order to deliver our membership service to you or to enable you to attend an event we will need to contact you to ensure that this obligation can be fulfilled.
Legal compliance: If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data. For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity to law enforcement.
Legitimate interest: In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our organisation and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we may write to you to inform you of sector news and events that we feel would be of interest to you.
3. When do we collect your personal data?
We will collect your personal data in a number of ways including, but not limited to:
- When you sign up as a client.
- When you attend events hosted by Fitzgerald & Associates .
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you visit our website.
- When you contact us by any means with questions, information requests etc.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
We will ensure that this information is processed in a lawful manner and is only used for relevant and necessary purposes.
4. What sort of personal data do we collect?
If you are one of our clients: your name, organisational address, provided positions and email addresses, telephone number, areas of operation and submitted member profile.
5. How and why do we use your personal data?
If you are not a client but choose to sign up to our communications, then we will also contact you. Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time by unsubscribing.
We may also use your data to comply with legal obligations or to carry out fraud/credit checks as necessary to protect our organisation.
We will only share your data with third parties with permission.
6. We will ensure that your data is kept secure and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We will put in a place a range of measures and data security protocols to ensure that your data is kept safe and secure, including keeping all data password protected.
7. Who do we share your personal data with?
We will sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties, if we have your permission to do so. We will tell you who these third parties are if we are sharing personal data with them. These may include, for example, contractors working with Fitzgerald & Associates to deliver our services.
8. What are your rights over your personal data?
An overview of your different rights
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Fitzgerald & Associates holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. To ask for your information, please contact Fitzgerald & Associates on firstname.lastname@example.org
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we may ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we may ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
9. Internet Use
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
If you post personal information on the website, its Forums or Groups, you acknowledge and agree that the information you post is publicly available.
When you visit the Fitzgerald & Associates website, our website host system, Web Widgets Ltd collects and stores the following information:
- All visitors to our website will have their IP address logged automatically. The purpose of the log is to identify hackers and to create statistical reports, and the logs are deleted after 60 days. We use a statistical package called "awstats" as well as Google Analytics tracking.
- If a visitor completes any form on our website, our data will retain all the information they entered, plus their IP address.
10. Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.